Sunday, January 10, 2010

No Bull



I thought today was supposed to be nice in the mountains so I headed up to the Metolius. I was greated by temperatures around freezing and clouds all day. So, I bundled up and hoped to catch some trout. With frozen toes I started swinging and stripping streamers looking for Bull Trout. I had a few tugs, but no fish. (I think those were from Rainbows or Browns).

As the morning wore on I hoped for some sun and a hatch. With neither in sight I searched deep with a nymph (and a sacraficial fly for weight since you can't add split shot there). I was finally able to bring a nice rainbow to hand. Then I hooked another bigger rainbow right after, but after a couple head shakes he was gone.

There was a lull in the action, but I finally saw some bugs on the water....but no fish rising. I waited. Nothing. Nymphed. Nothing. As I was about to move on I saw a fish rise. Then another. There wasn't steady surface action, but it doesn't take much for me to switch to a dry fly. After no luck and seemingly no fish left rising, I was about to give up when my fly got hammered. A nice Brown Trout pulled line before giving in.

It may not have been the fastest day of fishing, but I was glad to have gotten out one more time before I really have to start digging in with classe.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh the Metolious! Need to get up there. Love that place during winter. Sometimes during winter it's almost necessary to carry a 2nd rod with a dry all rigged up because by the time you build your leader and get a dry tied on the hatch is over. When that snout shows you gotta let 'em have it quick!

    Nice read. Will read more later. Hope to write more just on fishing but am pulled in many directions these days.

    My one fishing entry: http://thechinproject.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/thinking-of-you/

    Cheers

    Ryan(Mr. Chin on Westfly)

    ReplyDelete