Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grand Teton National Park and the Snake River


After my failure to catch a Snake River Finespotted Cutthroat last year, I thought I'd give it another shot before entering Yellowstone. With a full day to accomplish the task, I figured I'd be able to pull this off. After a slow start, I realized the fish wanted bigger flies. The size 12 attractor patterns weren't doing it, but a size 8 fly would bring them up. I was able to catch several pretty little cutthroats, but not the big fish I was hoping for. I decided to drop a nymph off my dry fly and see if this would change my fortunes. I soon had a take from nice fish, but couldn't get a good hookset. It was creeping toward lunch time and I thought I'd blown my shot at a good fish when I thought I heard a big rock thrown into the water. I figured it was one of the rafters who had stopped for lunch nearby, but I didn't see any. I went to investigate and through in a cast where I heard the disturbance. As small cutthroat rose for the dry, but suddenly turned away. A large golden fish came out of nowhere and I saw him viciously attack my nymph. As soon as I set the hook this massive trout leaped. I was shocked to see it was a Brown Trout at the end of my line. This was the largest trout I'd ever seen other than in pictures. I was able to tire this large fish after several strong runs. In the heavy Snake River current I was unable to find any soft places for a clean landing. I knew I would only get one chance. I brought the fish over and scooped my net under him. At that moment I realized just how big he was. As I brought the net up, he made one last flop. I had him right there in my net, but my net wasn't big enough. My reward for using a catch and release net was to see the biggest trout I've ever had at the end of my line easily flop out as I was bringing him up to take the hook out. I'm not sure how this counts in the realm of catching. Was it a catch. I didn't have a camera on me, so I wasn't going to take a picture anyway. I'm not sure. It was exciting nonetheless. I just wish I'd been able to get the hook out and give him a proper release. More than anything though, I wish it had been a big cutthroat, but it's always nice to fool a big, wily Brown Trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment