Monday, June 20, 2011

First Backcountry Outing of the Season




I hiked the float tube into Marion Lake for some early backcountry fishing. When we got to the parking lot it was overflowing with vehicles. I spotted the hatchery truck and breathed a sigh of relief. Just volunteers hiking in fish I thought. We passed several people walking down the trail. One boy told us we had good timing, we would have the lake to ourselves. I got excited. Then he finished off his comment, "Yeah, everyone is in their tents right now because of the rain." Oh, that's not what I was hoping he meant by you'll have the lake to yourselves. When we got to the lake there must have been more than 15 tents set up at the first camping area. Not what I wanted to see.

Did I mention it was raining. Rained all day Saturday and didn't stop until we were hiking out. Fish were caught and I saw few other people fishing. However, once I got out on the lake it was like it was just me, the ospreys and the fish (and the rain).

It was a good start to the backpacking season and I am anxious to hike into other places. Now that the snow is melting I am hoping more places will be open soon. (Pictures tomorrow if I remember to bring my camera in.)

2 comments:

  1. Nice site, I need to get in and try Marion sometime. If you feel like sharing which coastal river you found the natives on I'd love to hear. I hate crowds also, and don't do to well against the steel yet. I have a few spots I'd share in return. Close to the portland area.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Glad you enjoyed the site. Marion Lake is a fun lake. I'd recommend trying to get in during the middle of the week. I think the crowds should thin as more place free up from snow.

    Sorry, that spot is a state secret. I can tell you it's a few hours from Portland.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete