Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lamar River




The first day we fished Blacktail Deer Creek and the Lamar River. We caught a bunch of small brook trout on the creek in the morning and then went to the Lamar Valley for the afternoon. The Lamar Valley is really impressive and felt like it was the sort of place I'd imagine in a dream. We fished while a couple small herds of buffalo (or two groups of the same herd) grazed on the other side of the river.

I caught a couple nice cutthroats in the Lamar and decided to finish the night on the lower section of Slough Creek (where we were camping). I managed to hook a fish that after about 30 seconds decided he had enough of me. He took off downstream leaving an impressive wake. I stood in awe for a few seconds and started to run after him when the line snapped. Oh well, it's easier to take losing big fish when you are catching good fish already, but I was left wondering just how big that fish was as I walked back to the truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment