Thursday, August 27, 2009

Upper Meadow of Slough Creek



We hiked up to Second Meadow of Slough Creek, which was about 3 or 4 miles in from the trailhead near the campground. It wasn't that difficult a hike, which was fortunate considering how little exercise driving is. Once we made it past the first meadow we didn't see another person. This was the Yellowstone I was looking for. Big Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout cruising around in clear water. If I was able to creep up without being spotted (luckily they weren't as weary as Brown Trout) and made a good cast in front of the trout, I stood a good chance of a hookup....and a better chance of the fish inspecting the fly, nudging it with it's nose and then swimming on. Rejection was common, but luckily there were a lot of opportunities. It took me a while to overcome the excitement of seeing a good fish slowly swimming over, taking the fly and me setting the hook too early. Once I stopped pulling the hook out of the fishes' mouths, I managed to catch several nice fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment